Username or Email:

Password:
Remember Me
  Forgot your password?

New to Likwid Games?

It's easy and free. Interact, Rate games, Earn EXP and Build your own Avatar.

Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: A Few Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:43 am 

So hi. I'd be flattered if you remember me from, oh, seven years ago or so, but regardless, I've got a few ideas on site improvements and then one idea which, professional to professional, I'd just like to see realized.

Firstly, it's been seven or eight years since I've been on, and yet somehow there've been no updates to the level system, nor to the avatar setup, which was broken long before I went on my sabbatical. The fact that Sokki, 2 years absent, still holds the #1 spot on the EXP leaderboards illustrates this point quite vividly. It should be easier and more intuitive how to earn experience, perhaps with an in-game achievement system for certain games.

The site layout itself could also use an overhaul to make it more intuitive and user friendly. It's worked in its way for a very long time, but times have changed, and are changing still. Keeping up with them would definitely see a large increase in traffic and overall site performance.

But those are my critical evaluations. Likwid Games has always had a special place in my Heart, and I'd love to see it succeed in the increasingly Steam dominated online gaming market. But even more so as a developer.

The Castaway and Ultimate franchises are some of my Heartfelt favorites from youth, and even with their heavy tendency to borrow designs and themes from Final Fantasy and Dungeons and Dragons (or honestly, perhaps because of it in part,) I sorely wish to see them revisited and revitalized once more. They have a unique flavor and appeal, and the world is sorely lacking that kind of ingenuity in its modern RPGs. If it's something Likwid Games would consider, I would heavily recommend looking into crowd source funding. People, like me, have a burning desire for these kinds of games, and Likwid is one of the few independent developers with a real history for delivering them. But I digress.

Anyway, Thanks for keeping everything going this long. Peace.

For this message the author Sylence777 has received thanks from:
Evil_Paragon, Thing11th, YngwieOfDoom

Post subject: Re: A Few Suggestions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:28 am 

Sylence777 wrote:
So hi. I'd be flattered if you remember me from, oh, seven years ago or so, but regardless, I've got a few ideas on site improvements and then one idea which, professional to professional, I'd just like to see realized.

Firstly, it's been seven or eight years since I've been on, and yet somehow there've been no updates to the level system, nor to the avatar setup, which was broken long before I went on my sabbatical. The fact that Sokki, 2 years absent, still holds the #1 spot on the EXP leaderboards illustrates this point quite vividly. It should be easier and more intuitive how to earn experience, perhaps with an in-game achievement system for certain games.

The site layout itself could also use an overhaul to make it more intuitive and user friendly. It's worked in its way for a very long time, but times have changed, and are changing still. Keeping up with them would definitely see a large increase in traffic and overall site performance.

But those are my critical evaluations. Likwid Games has always had a special place in my Heart, and I'd love to see it succeed in the increasingly Steam dominated online gaming market. But even more so as a developer.

The Castaway and Ultimate franchises are some of my Heartfelt favorites from youth, and even with their heavy tendency to borrow designs and themes from Final Fantasy and Dungeons and Dragons (or honestly, perhaps because of it in part,) I sorely wish to see them revisited and revitalized once more. They have a unique flavor and appeal, and the world is sorely lacking that kind of ingenuity in its modern RPGs. If it's something Likwid Games would consider, I would heavily recommend looking into crowd source funding. People, like me, have a burning desire for these kinds of games, and Likwid is one of the few independent developers with a real history for delivering them. But I digress.

Anyway, Thanks for keeping everything going this long. Peace.

I definitely think that crowdfunding could work. Recently there hasn't been many games on kickstarter, so Likwid could jump on on that.

If we all meant to pop out of bed, we would live in toasters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I truly appreciate your support through the good and bad times.

I've actually been wanting to redesign the site for a while now. I work as a web developer full-time, so I definitely feel that the site can be improved upon quite a bit with all the new technologies out there.

Crowdfunding is not something I have thought much about. From what I've heard, it's very over-saturated with game developers, and only a select few actually make their goals. I'm not too sure if that's the right path for me. Creating a game with a large scope like Castaway 3, for example, would require a lot of funding. Times have changed since the old flash days, and I feel that production values will have to be increased quite a lot for a game like that to be successful on Steam.

For this message the author likwid has received thanks from:
Thing11th

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:24 pm 

likwid wrote:
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I truly appreciate your support through the good and bad times.

I've actually been wanting to redesign the site for a while now. I work as a web developer full-time, so I definitely feel that the site can be improved upon quite a bit with all the new technologies out there.

Crowdfunding is not something I have thought much about. From what I've heard, it's very over-saturated with game developers, and only a select few actually make their goals. I'm not too sure if that's the right path for me. Creating a game with a large scope like Castaway 3, for example, would require a lot of funding. Times have changed since the old flash days, and I feel that production values will have to be increased quite a lot for a game like that to be successful on Steam.

Maybe a Patreon then? So you can get some extra money with no pressures of Crowdfunding?
I've no idea how much it cost to make a game, I assume Castaway 3 is planned to be a 2D top down RPG. No prying because you might have aspirations for 3D or Isometric again and I would like to be surprised.
Anyway, I assume a game with a lovely little artstyle like Castaway isn't as expensive as most indie games that run in complicated engines. But who knows? You knows, not me though.

Likwid, you are a real hero. Many times I have tried and failed to make games with you as my inspiration. As I cannot seem to figure out coding, I'd be happy to help you in anyway, as would a lot of people.

We now know you work fulltime so this may be a hard request but if you don't have the time to make any changes on the site, you could always just check in as often as you can and simply you being active could revive a portion the community.

For this message the author Evil_Paragon has received thanks from:
Thing11th

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:46 pm 

Another way to get the website up and running again could be to branch out into other areas, like Minecraft or mobile games and set up guilds/servers for things like that.

I'd happily help out with anything like that for the website.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Keeping active in the forums will keep me active on the site :)

I love hearing your feedback, especially for a new Castaway game. I would also love to hear everyone's ideas on other game ideas as well. Maybe the blending of two different genres like Platforming and RPG, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:37 am 

I think we should come up with a way that would promote the site. Because that's the only way that anyone will visit it now.

Posting in other forums? Having a group/guild that play a popular game? Google AdSense even? Having a server for a game? I feel like we need a plan or sorts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:49 pm 

Well, certainly a new game would bring a lot of traffic here and Ads, Servers, all cost money.
However, we don't want to rush games, many Triple A examples of why you don't want to do that, now imaging an Indie version...
But here's the thing. The remainder of the people on this site are fairly loyal.
Meaning we can keep a certain level of activity going here until something major like a game comes out.
Once a game comes out, then likwid should liberally use the money earnt from such a project to either fund another game or spend it in advertising. Of course, he should keep some earnings, as you do.

Who knows, after that, likwid games could become a company filled with aspiring independent (as much as it would ruin that word) Canadian developers with several games under their belt and a whole series of Castaway IP games hitting console and PC alike. What a wonderful world that would be, I hope it's this one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:21 am 

Is there a new game being made likwid?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:49 pm 

Thing11th wrote:
Is there a new game being made likwid?

Pretty sure he said there was.
Games don't get made very quickly though.

Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]