Username or Email:

Password:
Remember Me
  Forgot your password?

New to Likwid Games?

It's easy and free. Interact, Rate games, Earn EXP and Build your own Avatar.

Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New site beta
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:34 am 
Site Admin

Hey everyone,

I've been working on creating a new, modern site for us. I have completed the homepage so far, with limited functionality. If your screen size is wide enough, you'll notice a bar on the right side of the screen. This will be where a lot of personalized information will be displayed, along with live updates (similar to what Facebook does). For now, I have the same information that we display on the current site, but I am open to suggestions for what you'd like to see here.

At this point you can log into the site and your favorites will be displayed in the top right of the site. The site should also load much faster now, with less ads, and display nicely on mobile devices too :thumbs_up: .

Please make sure you're using a fairly modern browser, like Chrome, or the site may not display properly for you.

Let me know what you guys think:
http://beta.likwidgames.com/

Post subject: Re: New site beta
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:44 pm 

Hey man.

The beta looks pretty good. It's dark colored, so it's easier on the eyes. Atleast, i never like bright colored pages or sites, they always burn my eyes :P

I was trying to check some features, like how the forum would look like and how your profile would look like,but i guess you haven;t added that yet.

It looks like it's more adroid friendly than the site we currenty have. I personally think that's an huge improvment right there! I also like how the Top exp gainers of the month have 8 people showing now instead of just 5. I still think it's somehow a little bit empty. Maybe it's possible to add some small things?

Maybe notificating for when someone earns a medal? I'm really curious of to how the site will look at the more personal side ( like our own profiles and stuff)

Great work so far, Likwid!

-Yngwie-

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

YngwieOfDoom wrote:
Hey man.

The beta looks pretty good. It's dark colored, so it's easier on the eyes. Atleast, i never like bright colored pages or sites, they always burn my eyes :P

I was trying to check some features, like how the forum would look like and how your profile would look like,but i guess you haven;t added that yet.

It looks like it's more adroid friendly than the site we currenty have. I personally think that's an huge improvment right there! I also like how the Top exp gainers of the month have 8 people showing now instead of just 5. I still think it's somehow a little bit empty. Maybe it's possible to add some small things?

Maybe notificating for when someone earns a medal? I'm really curious of to how the site will look at the more personal side ( like our own profiles and stuff)

Great work so far, Likwid!

-Yngwie-

Thanks for the feedback :) I went dark to separate us from the other big flash gaming sites out there. There is still a lot of work to be done. Next up will be the game pages.

Curious to hear what you and everyone else would like to see on their profile pages.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:17 am 

I really like the new site. :)

Will the negative space next to the main game slide be filled with something or?

It looks good man :thumbs_up:

If we all meant to pop out of bed, we would live in toasters.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Thing11th wrote:
I really like the new site. :)

Will the negative space next to the main game slide be filled with something or?

It looks good man :thumbs_up:

It's an ad. You probably have an ad blocker turned on, which doesn't help out the site at all :~(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:49 pm 

Awesome, really love the sidebar that scrolls by itself.
+On moving the forum to the game genres, was going to suggest that but decided that it may be confusing but it looks great.
+Those ads are all quite small, I assume that's up for change but I hope it doesn't get one of those full side ads sites seem to be sporting that feature girls with quite a chest just to pull people in. Not really the type of thing you'd want considering the potential demographic that could use this site.
-So far I see no "about" or "contact us" sections. Might want to look into that.
-Logo is very boring, while the one here is outdated it has that fancy little... blue flame? dropplet? blue thing that really complements the site. That one is just bolding the word "Likwid".
-The homepage makes it look like the site is all about gaming and nothing else. Look at Kongregate, they have pets or something and both them and Armorgames have like, quests of the day or something. Maybe you could include a section to really bring some significance to the rest of the site. I know all that's on the sidebar but sidebars can generally be a zone out for people.

Some things that aren't bad but could be better:
I feel like you're trying to drop avatars in a way. Maybe you're not but in effort to modernize the site, other sites don't follow that iconic trait about this one. In the Latest Posts section there are no avatars.
If it's not too hard to implement, maybe you should add another section to the homepage that adds like, a shuffle of random games the user hasn't played (Could be based on their rating). This would help people find games to rate to earn exp.
Again if it's not too hard, if the blue rating on each of the games could either be changed to, or be there with a user's own rating (maybe a yellow star?) that would be a neat little bit of functionality.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Evil_Paragon wrote:
Awesome, really love the sidebar that scrolls by itself.
+On moving the forum to the game genres, was going to suggest that but decided that it may be confusing but it looks great.
+Those ads are all quite small, I assume that's up for change but I hope it doesn't get one of those full side ads sites seem to be sporting that feature girls with quite a chest just to pull people in. Not really the type of thing you'd want considering the potential demographic that could use this site.
-So far I see no "about" or "contact us" sections. Might want to look into that.
-Logo is very boring, while the one here is outdated it has that fancy little... blue flame? dropplet? blue thing that really complements the site. That one is just bolding the word "Likwid".
-The homepage makes it look like the site is all about gaming and nothing else. Look at Kongregate, they have pets or something and both them and Armorgames have like, quests of the day or something. Maybe you could include a section to really bring some significance to the rest of the site. I know all that's on the sidebar but sidebars can generally be a zone out for people.

Some things that aren't bad but could be better:
I feel like you're trying to drop avatars in a way. Maybe you're not but in effort to modernize the site, other sites don't follow that iconic trait about this one. In the Latest Posts section there are no avatars.
If it's not too hard to implement, maybe you should add another section to the homepage that adds like, a shuffle of random games the user hasn't played (Could be based on their rating). This would help people find games to rate to earn exp.
Again if it's not too hard, if the blue rating on each of the games could either be changed to, or be there with a user's own rating (maybe a yellow star?) that would be a neat little bit of functionality.

Thanks for the feedback!

To answer some of your questions:
  • Unfortunately, I don't get to choose the ads that are displayed. They are served to you from the ad company, however, there should never be anything that contains nudity in any of the ads.
  • The about/contact/etc links will be added when the footer is completed on the site.
  • The logo is temporary right now :) It will be redesigned, but I will most likely be keeping it fairly simple and clean this time around
  • Armor Games and Kongregate are able to add certain features like that because they pay developers to make special copies of their games that contain code to unlock items on their sites. I just can't afford to do this right now, especially with people running ad block software. This is why I implemented the site level system with unlockable avatar items. I will be expanding this eventually as well.
  • The avatars have been removed from latest posts for now as I develop a way to display them without using flash. I'm hoping to have this done in the next few days.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:01 pm 

Good idea putting the blocks telling people about ad blocker. It will remind people about it and how it impacts the site.

I've turned it off for LikwidGames :P

Will there be any sort of forum badges on the new website?

If we all meant to pop out of bed, we would live in toasters.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

I have put avatars back into the beta site. This time, they are pure HTML and not Flash, so they will be viewable on all devices, including phones without flash support. :)

I'm wondering what information you would like to see in the right side of the screen when you are logged in. Do you want to see your avatar? Do you want to see your current level/EXP? Friends online?

I want this site to be heavily influenced and tailored to our community, so your feedback is very important to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:32 pm 

Something like this would be pretty cool:
(I made it awhile ago so that's why it says level 13)

An experience bar would be nice. I didn't have that in the picture because I knew it would change too frequently (I use it on my desktop background). Also the flag? In between level and avatar? Maybe?

Shouldn't really be a priority, but Activity in future should have filters between site, friends, site and friends, and all. And potentially birthdays that are revealed could be present in the friend filters to reduce clutter.
Potentially, another info thing on the sidebar could be details of your new game when that starts development. Just take it away when not in development, and put it back up when in development. Could have "articles" (forum post, social media post) beneath it to click on to stay up to date with development and could have a small picture banner at the top for the upcoming game in that section of the sidebar.
Include a click and scroll for the sidebar as currently the only way is to use the scroll wheel.
But be extremely hard to implement but for each person, it would be cool to customise the site colour scheme to either dark grey, white or blue.

Bug: When scrolled down the page, sometimes the sidebar doesn't individually scroll.

Awesome stuff, likwid.

Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next